Family law encompasses the parts of the legal system that deal with family issues, and there are legal professionals who focus solely on these matters. Family lawyers are able to mediate when issues arise in the family and represent individuals in court cases focused on familial disputes. “Family matters” is a broad description; what issues are handled under the umbrella of family law, specifically?
Legal Issues Handled at Family Court
Disputes between families and many domestic matters are treated as civil cases and taken care of at family courts. Some specific examples of legal matters under the family law umbrella include:
- Divorce/Dissolution of Marriage: Both divorce and annulment cases are treated as civil matters in family court. When a couple decides they no longer want to be married, they can ask the court to dissolve their marriage, and family lawyers can help them divide their assets as they wish. An experienced family attorney can also help represent individuals in court if their divorce causes a lot of conflict and disagreement.
- Child Custody Issues: When people who share a child decide to separate, coming to a decision about how parenting time should be split is one of the more difficult issues that can arise. Family courts have the power to order custody, determine visitation schedules, and require noncustodial parents to make child support payments. The courts can also help establish paternity over a child.
- Changing Your Name: Any adult looking to change their name can do so in family court.
- Restraining Orders for Domestic Abuse: Anyone who is a victim of domestic abuse can seek an order of protection against their abuser through the family courts. A family law attorney can help in this process by compiling relevant evidence, contacting witnesses, and supporting the victim in court.
- Conservatorships: People who are not physically or mentally capable of caring for themselves and their finances are sometimes placed under conservatorships or guardianships, which appoint a family member or trained conservator to manage their care. These arrangements are established in family courts.
- Wills and Estates: Wills are legal documents that allow someone to state how they want their assets distributed when they die. Family lawyers help people create these documents. They can also ensure that a will is carried out and that their client’s estate is handled according to their wishes when they die.
- Abortion: Abortion is an issue handled by the family courts in the state of Tennessee.
- Prenuptial and Postnuptial Agreements: Family attorneys can assist in the creation of prenuptial and postnuptial agreements. These legally binding documents allow married couples to determine how their assets should be divided in the event of a divorce or the death of a spouse.
Why Hire a Family Lawyer?
The legal system is extremely complex and matters concerning family dynamics are especially sensitive. A family lawyer will have an extensive understanding of the legal proceedings relevant to your specific circumstances. An attorney with experience in family law can prepare clients for exactly what will occur in the court room, what potential setbacks they may face, which documents need filing, and the most appropriate way to present the case to a judge.
Legislation Can Change
The laws involving family matters can change often, but quality family law specialists keep up with every change and work tirelessly to set their clients up for success in the court room.
Certain family law matters, such as divorce and issues pertaining to estates, require negotiation to ensure a fair and reasonable outcome. Family law attorneys are trained in negotiating in the court room and mediation for couples that are separating. This means they can work towards the outcome a client desires more effectively than the client may be able to on their own.
Peace of Mind
Ultimately, hiring talented and experienced legal counsel for family law matters will bring you peace of mind. An attorney will ensure that all of the necessary paperwork is filled out, that their clients are being treated fairly, and that the full picture of the situation is being taken into account. Family law matters can be stressful, and emotions can impact the way you view things. Hiring a family law attorney will allow free up precious emotional and mental energy so you can continue focusing on yourself and your loved ones.
We Can Help You
Family law matters are complicated, emotionally draining, and stressful. At Lackey | McDonald, PLLC, our goal is to assist you in working towards a favorable outcome for your specific situation. We will be on your side through divorce proceedings, custody disagreements, asset division, and more. Our legal team will look over the details of your situation and craft a legal strategy specific to your needs. Reach out online or at (615) 205-4692 for a free consultation.